Saturday, November 17, 2007


BOOK - 1812 NAPOLEON'S FATAL MARCH ON MOSCOW BY ADAM ZAMOYSKI




This is a great book so far. I am only 1/3rd of the way through it and I am enjoying it thoroughly. The most eye opening part of the whole campaign is the background behind Russia and Czar Alexander prior to Napoleon mobilising and invading.

I had no idea of the increased aggression from Russia during 1809-1812. A real eye opener. I always wondered why Napoleon had decided to invade when he was clearly not as well as he used to be. Let alone invading a country which he new was so vast and infertile and hostile.

I still don't agree that he made the right decision but I can understand a little of the corner he felt he had been pushed into. Whether you agree or not, we will never know the true thoughts of either of the Emperors but it is interesting.

Anyway I will post more on this as I get through it. Stay tuned.

No comments: