Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Terrain Tiles Tutorial - Lush

Terrain Tiles Tutorial - Lush

Here is a quick tutorial on how I am currently making my lush european terrain tiles.

1. I glue 2 squares of cork tile together. These I get from Bunnings here in Australia and they are so far very well squared and straight cut. They come in a pack of 6 tiles 30cm x 30cm for $11. Perfect for 1 ft x 1 ft squares.


2. After the 2 tiles have sat for a full day to ensure no movement while working with, I then apply a thick layer of green paint using a roller for flat squares and a thick craft brush for detailed squares.

3. While the paint is still wet, I sprinkle a thick layer of the finest flocking mixed with 50% next finest flocking over the square. I let this sit for about 1 hour before I bash the back of the square while it stands on end to knock all of the unstuck flocking off.




4. I then spray the square with a thick layer of hairspray and leave it outside in the shade for a few hours to dry.

A flat square


A detailed 'rough' square

TO COME:
'Village' squares
'City' squares
'River' squares
'Forest' squares
'Road' squares

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been looking for tutorials on this sort of thing. Thanks for posting it! Looking forward to the next ones.

Anonymous said...

Does bondidng two tiles together keep them from warping, or are you doing it for the thickness?

Anonymous said...

You know I asked myself the same question daily. I suppose I did it to give it more strength but mainly to cut the 1st layer in 2 in order to create depressions, ravines and rivers.

Anonymous said...

A great post. I'll be the featured post this Friday on my Miniaturewargaming blog at

http://www.miniaturewargaming.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks John.

That's a great compliment.