Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Rebasing?

Lately I have been thinking about my 6mm units and how they are based.

I have always been keen to keep the thickness of my basing to a minimum in order not to distrate the viewer from the figures themselves but still be thick enough to not bend or warp and keep the magnetic layer flat to stick to metal trays for storage.

When I look at my British units, each stand is 4 figures and a 2 x 2 formation. This stand represents 1 normal figure in Empire which is 60 men. Having them like this means I can make a nice road column and remove stands as casualties as I go. The French and Prussians have multiples of this per stand and while they do work okay for combat formations it means a road column is too wide and I have to mark stands and await further casualties before removing them.

I am seriously thinking of cutting these stands so ALL units are 4 figures.

This leads to a dilemma of units full of 10-18 fiddly stands of 4 figures.

So I am thinking of rebasing them on thicker card but still with the magnetic bottom.

Currently I use card or plasticard less than 1mm thick and then the magnet on the bottom. I may go to 1mm card or even 1.5mm or 2.0mm card.

I will go ahead and based up one unit soon and post it for feedback.

No comments: