Saturday, March 20, 2010

My Helmand Project Part 3

(Note: to see all the posts for this project in the order they were published, click on "HELMAND PROJECT" in the CONTENTS menu on the left of the blog.)
Sorry to ruin the excitement, but this is not a full update.
While I was admiring the work done so far (!), I realised I would have trouble adding in rivers, creeks, dry creekbeds and wadis.  My idea for these were to use 2 layers in each board with all other boards being 2 full layers combined with glue and maybe even nails.  I had forgot about this.  But I have been undecided on what that 2nd layer should be.  In the past I have tried a layer of foam, foamboard, cork tiles, plaster and even carpet squares.  To date I think the best value for effort would be to use 5mm foamboard and putty.  Both are easy to acquire and for a good price and easy to work with.  So stay tuned for the remodelled 1st part where I redo a set of 4 squares using this technique.
What this means is that each board will be 11mm thick.  This is because my 5mm mdf turns out to be 6mm mdf and then I glue on a sheet or number of sections of 5mm foamboard and then trimmed to the size of the mdf.
... to be continued ...

No comments: