Monday, May 18, 2020

20mm Afghanistan Project - Test Pieces


After watching and researching a few different techniques for creating some good gaming terrain for my modern Afghanistan project I found some information on using mdf bases with caulking and rocks and paints which really inspired me to try to take my modelling to a new level.

Currently I have a desert mat from Cigar Box Battlemats which I love but over time I've really struggled with how to model uneven terrain and especially to incorporate rivers and roads into the scene.

Previously I modeled cork tiles to sat them close together to create a gaming scene but I resent the 1 use wonder some of these pieces creates and struggle with how to find a common ground of using such terrain pieces but also having some flexibility from game to game. My solution to this is to model pieces which sit on top of the mat but also if large enough have open cut spaces to accommodate smaller pieces which vary from game to game. So a terrain section might have a road built into it with 2 rectangles cut out where a field may be placed in 1 game and a building placed in the next.

Below are some pics from previous games using such cork terrain squares:





I've decided to start again still using my mat as the based but using mdf and card to scenic items and matching a new set of house paints to the mat.

Below are 2 test pieces I did over the weekend:





Next I have a rocky piece to complete as well as a larger section of rural road passing through a couple of fields.

No comments: